Thursday, April 25, 2013

Organization is the KEY to keeping yourself sane!


I learned very quickly that organization is a MUST when it comes to homeschooling.  If you don’t stay organized you can get buried in paperwork almost overnight.  I wish I could get back all the time I spent trying to find school books the kids had misplaced.  And there is nothing worse than losing track of what you wanted to accomplish this year because you are unorganized. 

The best thing I did was create a binder just for me.  This binder is my “hub” for all things homeschool.  The first thing I did was sign up for this website called Mom’s Tool Belt.  She has tons of great designs for covers, spines, calendars, support materials, etc.  I like to use color coding so I picked a color for my binder that I know right away that it is mine.  My binder is green with “Mom’s School Notebook” on the cover and binding.  I put my binder together with tabs for each subject.  Behind each tab I put a lesson plan outline, a record sheet to record scores (or check off sheet), tests, and any answer keys I have in print off form.  I bought tabs that have built in folders so I could slip anything I needed to give the kids this week into the folders. 


I have four children so I put all of their information under the same tab.  So for example under my English tab I have information on the kids spelling, handwriting and literature.  For spelling I use a Flash Kids spelling book from Barnes and Noble.  I tear out the answer sheets and put them into sheet protectors.  I have created a record sheet using excel for each child.  I mark off completion of some assignments and grades for their tests.  For this I use the record sheet as my lesson plan outline.  I can look at it and know exactly where we are as far as completing the year, what assignments have not been graded, etc.  I find creating a record sheet is extremely helpful.  I can list the assignments/tests in the order I want to have them completed.  If you don’t need any other information you can use these as your lesson plan outline. 

The great thing about the binder is you can customize it to your needs.  My kids use a math program that consists of books and workbooks but the tests (for 2) have to be photocopied.  I went ahead and made all those copies and put them under the math tab so I am not frantically printing those off at the last minute.  You can also print off notes about the programs you are using that you don’t want to lose.  Another good idea is to include a list of websites and usernames/passwords for those sites.  If you use websites for the kids I highly recommend taking notes on all the kids’ usernames.  I don’t know how many times my children have asked what username to use for their log ins

You will add/change to your binder over the year and that is ok.  The point is to have all your information in one place if at all possible.  I keep this binder by my rocking chair in case one of the children has a question I have to look up the answer.  You may have to have a large binder to hold everything, but keeping it all in one place will help keep your sanity. 

Watch for more posts on how to get yourself and your children organized. 

No comments:

Post a Comment